Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Cat From Outer Space

I found this movie on the shelf in the children's DVD section at the library. I immediately had sentimental yearnings to see this movie. This was, in fact, the first movie that I ever saw as a kid. My grandparents (Nana and Pop-Pop) took me to the drive-in movie theater to see this movie.

The Cat From Outer Space was released by Disney in 1978. It stars Ken Berry (Mama's Family), Sandy Duncan (Peter Pan on Broadway and Valerie Hogan on The Hogan Family), Harry Morgan and McLean Stevenson (M*A*S*H*).

In typical 1970's Disney style - this movie really sucks. The special effects are really special. The movie stars a cat (Morris?) that makes an emergency landing on Earth. The cat can talk to people and has a special collar that has super powers. He can make people freeze (as he did to Harry Morgan who re-awoke in his underwear, the comedic highlight of the movie).

Ken Berry must convince everyone that he is not crazy and help Jake (the cat) get the needed gold to fix his spaceship. Of course, Berry and the cat are able to save the day after a harrowing helicopter and airplane chase that left my kids and me on the edge of our seat.

Overall, I give this movie 2 stars. Netflix predicted that I would give it 4. Their Disney movie ratings predictor must be on crack. This movie would have been worse had it not been for the fact of its great sentimental value. If this wasn't the first movie you ever saw at the drive-in, I would not be clamoring to knock the kids over at the children's DVD section at the library. Get that disc 4 of the Gilmour Girls instead. You'll thank me.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio