Monday, March 10, 2008

Death at a Funeral

Normally I am a big fan of British comedy. From Monty Python to Faulty Towers to Keeping Up Appearances, I seem to like them all. However, Death at a Funeral helped to brake my thinking.

This is one of those movies that has a great trailer. The trailer seemed hysterical. However, this is where you give credit to trailer makers. They took a bucket of crap and made pretty flowery drapes. Perhaps the trailer makers should have produced this movie instead of Frank Oz. He needs to stick to Miss Piggy and Fozzy Bear.

The premise of the movie is everyone is gathering for the funeral of their father. However, at the funeral a midget (vertically challenged?) dude who's about 1/3 of their father's age claims that he is his father's lover and has pictures to prove it and unless he gets a portion of the will, he will release the pictures.

There are various contributing elements that are meant for comedy, but come off as "whatever". This includes the wheel-chair bound cussing grandfather, the fruitcake boyfriend who's accidentally tripping on drugs, and the irrational brothers who are scrambling to (pardon the borrow) keep up appearances.

The movie peeks when the family thinks that they accidentally killed the midget and they try to hide him. The movie is only about an hour an a half, which is one of the best traits of the movie. I am disappointed that I wasted one of my Netflix slots for this movie. I would much rather have seen American Gangster (Very Long Wait), Michael Clayton (Very Long Wait), or Things We Lost in the Fire (Long Wait).

I give this movie 2 stars. It wasn't so bad that I wanted to go out and burn my neighbor's house down, but this isn't a movie that I'll recommend to my friends. Now you, on the other hand....

No comments:

 
My Zimbio