Sunday, February 15, 2009

Broken Flowers

I got this movie out of the library for a few reasons. First, I was watching Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist and noticed one of the characters. I thought she was pretty hot, but before I publicly announced that she was hot, I wanted to make sure she was over 18. So I went on www.imdb.com.

To my delight, Alexis Dziena is 25. Then I noticed she was in Broken Flowers. I did a Google image search and out popped a totally nude picture of her. As Joey Lawrence would say, "Whoa!" So I reserved it from the library.

When it arrived I read the back and it was rated R for language, drug use, and graphic nudity. Graphic nudity? What does that mean? I was thinking extended sex scenes or something.

Now, the movie itself is a dark humor movie starring Bill Murray, a former comedian. He receives an unsigned letter informing him that he has a 19 year old son. With the help of friend Winston (Jeffrey Wright), Murray decides to drive around and reconnect with former girlfriends to find out if they are the mother and if they typed the letter on a typewriter.

There is nothing overly funny about the movie. It is filled with long awkward pauses, which at first were funny, at least the first 41 times, but after that they got annoying. Murray is down on life and every former girlfriend that he finds reminds him that he sucks. Some of if was mildly funny. But for the most part I was unimpressed.

The movie also stars Sharon Stone, Tilda Swinton, and Jessica Lange as former girlfriends. But as I mentioned, the reason I watched it was Alexis Dziena. And based on what I saw and the rating, I have come to the conclusion that MPAA description of graphic nudity means that it shows pubic hair. A boob? That's just nudity. Pubic hair? That's graphic. How ridiculous is that?

So I give this movie only 2 stars. Bill Murray is no longer funny. And the graphicness of the movie was not enough to win me over. Booo!

No comments:

 
My Zimbio