Monday, July 27, 2009

Knowing

The last few movies staring Nicolas Cage have been average. There was National Treasure, The Wicker Man, Ghost Rider, and, of course, National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets.

About 30 minutes into this movie I began to think two things. 1 - this must be National Treasure 3. And 2 - this must be a Disney Movie.

In both National Treasure movies, Cage sifts through clues that have been around for hundreds of years and is able to solve some of the country's biggest mysteries in a matter of minutes. He is able to solve these complex mysteries because he thinks hard about it.

In Knowing, he seems to have picked up from where he left off and began deciphering clues written by a young girl and left in a time capsule that would reveal the end of the world.

And I thought it was a Disney movie because in typical Disney fashion there is no mother. Think about it - Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Alladin, Pinocchio. No mothers.

I thought the movie wasn't half bad for the first hour and a half. It certainly wasn't my favorite, but it kept my interest. But then they went and made the last half hour of the movie. And it sucked. It was a total cop-out. No conflict resolution. Horrible. Absolutely horrible. I don't even want to waste time describing the premise of the movie. If you're that interested you can read the canned recap on Netflix.

Knowing was directed by Alex Proyas who brought us such great movies as I, Robot and The Crow . Also suffering as actors in the movie are Rose Byrne and some other people I've never heard of.

The movie was an hour and 50 minutes and it was Rated PG-13 for having a horrible plot and computer-animated disaster sequences, some pretend language, and some creepy ghostly images.

As you can probably tell, I didn't care much for this movie. Take my advice and don't waste your time on this movie. I give it 2 stars.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio