Monday, February 25, 2008

Rendition

Another movie compliments of Netflix (and without delays in shipping or recognizing that they received my last movie at a reasonable time!), Rendition is about a man that was basically kidnapped by the United States government because they suspected that he was a terrorist. His wife, Reese Witherspoon, sets out to find out where he is and climbs the political ladder to get answers.

The movie is intense and has some disturbing scenes of torture, but I guess that's why my mother always told me not to be a terrorist, because torture is no fun. Jake Gyllenhaal, the Viking-sounding actor from Los Angeles, is the government operative that is helping to conduct the "examination and questioning" sessions. Also in the movie, Meryl Streep plays a high level government official who's a total bitch (if you can believe that) and Alan Arkin is the jerk-head politician (again - a jerk-head politician, who knew?)

A subplot of the movie is a bomb that detonates in an Egyptian market square at the beginning of the movie. The local police chief (Yigal Naor, one of several people from Munich to star in this movie), is investigating this bombing, in addition to trying to find his daughter. There is a great plot twist that if I say too much I will give it away. I totally fell into it and didn't see it coming.

The only thing that disappointed me was the ending. It was all too easy. Things don't really happen this way, especially in real life, but as we know, Hollywood and real life are two totally mutually exclusive things.

The movie did not receive high reviews, though I give it 4 stars. If it hadn't been for the pooper ending, I would have given it 5 stars. Reese's character wasn't all that strong, though it did not need to be. If you are going to watch this movie because she's in it, you may be disappointed. However, the good plot and action should keep you in this movie.

1 comment:

Charm City Kim said...

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this flick.

I agree about the little plot twist - I didn't see that coming. And I agree that the ending seemed a bit too easy (although I was happy!).

 
My Zimbio