Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Comebacks

The Comebacks is a new comedy staring David Koechner, famous for being in several of Will Ferrell's movies including Talladega Nights and Anchorman, The Legend of Ron Burgundy. The movie was produced by the same producer as "The Wedding Crashers" as advertised on their movie poster.

This movie is soaked in gags and guttural humor. The movie does a good job of spoofing many other movies, so the more movies you have seen, the better understanding you have of the intended humor.

I say intended humor, because a lot of it was mildly funny, not hee-haw funny. For example, his daughter starts dating one of the players on the team. Throughout the movie she keeps refereeing to him as her "black boyfriend". Funny the first time, maybe. Borderline controversial for the other 45 times that she said it throughout the movie.

The first part of the movie was funny enough to keep my interest, even if my response was, "ahhh…ok." There were lots of gags like the ones you would see in Top Secret, Airplane, and Scary Movie (including all 17 sequels). I like a good gag/spoof movie now and then.

However, the second half of the movie put me over the edge. Not funny. I couldn't wait for it to be over. One good thing about the movie is that it was only 97 minutes long. However, the bad thing is that it should have ended about 50 minutes into it.

Overall, I want to give this movie 3 stars, because there were some parts that were funny enough. However, the ending just wouldn't come soon enough as the second half was on the cusp of boring. So I have to give this movie 2 stars, but would give it 2 1/2 if my business rules would have allowed it - but unfortunately they don't.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio