Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Michael Moore Hates America

Netflix is pretending that they aren't receiving my movies again. In the last 3 weeks I've seen 3 Netflix movies. Normally I can turnaround 2 movies a week. I guess they're not getting their money's worth out of me. So last night I borrowed Michael Moore Hates America from a friend.

Now I will qualify my critique by saying that I pretty much don’t like Michael Moore, though I have seen Roger and Me, Bowling for Columbine, and Fahrenheit 9/11.

Michael Wilson brings us this amateurish documentary about making a documentary about a guy who pretends to make documentaries. Hollywood loves Michael Moore because even though the facts are not correct and the ones that are close are often distorted, Moore is still sending the right message. However, to a true documentary purist, you would have to say that Michael Moore produces Fictiontaries.

Wilson does a good job of pointing out the inaccuracies of Moore's movies. And he does a great job of spoofing the cover of Roger and Me for the cover of his own movie. He even interviews some of the same people that were in Moore's movies. Most did not know their purpose of being in Moore's movies and felt that they had been deceived. One went as far as to say that he never even met Moore. Moore just used video footage of him to prove that the military hates America. This guy wasn't too happy.

During the whole movie, Wilson is trying to get an interview with Moore, but is repeatably denied by the gatekeepers of Dog Eat Dog Films, Moore's production company. Then Wilson shows clips of several interviewers asking Moore why he won't agree to interview with Wilson and Moore repeatedly says that he's never heard of the guy. It's all very comical.

Overall, I give this movie 3 stars. The quality and flow is a little choppy, but Wilson makes his point. This movie will not convince the blind followers of Moore that he's just a fat rich hypocritical pig, but for those of us that already know this, this movie is fairly enjoyable.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio