Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Going My Way

The war-time winner of the Oscar for Best Picture in 1944, Going My Way stars Bing Crosby as Father O'Malley who was sent to an older parish that is in financial disarray. The movie won 7 Oscars total, including Best Actor (Bing Crosby) and Best Supporting Actor (Barry Fitzgerald) and was nominated for 10.

Crosby shows an uncanny knack for handling difficult situations and inspires the neighborhood hoodlums into joining the Church choir. In the end, Crosby saves the Church only to see disaster strike. The movie is filled with singing and includes Crosby's famous "White Christmas".

The movie is not without a great supporting cast. Black and white movie aficionados will recognize the mortgage lender as the judge from Miracle on 34th Street (whose famous line was "if the United States Post Office recognizes this man as Santa Claus, then so does this court!", and William Frawly, who was made famous as Fred Mertz on "I Love Lucy".

Additionally, the movie contains the famous saying that is something to the effect of, "At 18 I thought my father was the dumbest man in the world. By the time I was 21, I was amazed at how much he had learned in that short period of time."

Overall, I give this movie 4 stars. I love the old movies, and best of all, this movie put my son to sleep the other night when he refused to go to bed. He's not as much of a fan of "gray movies" as I am.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio