Saturday, January 19, 2008

Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo

I have fond memories of Herbie the Love Bug from my childhood. The lovable and funny car was part of a family-friendly series of movies.

So last week when my kids were browsing through the children's DVD's and picking out some of the worst stuff they could find, I gently directed them to some Disney classics. I said, "How about this one?!!!" "Yeah-Yeah!!!!" Oh, how easy it is sometimes to manipulate children!

On Friday my son had a friend over. They decided to watch a movie. My son suggested the Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo movie.

His friend said, "What is that?"

"Oh, it's this movie about a car that comes to life."

"Oh!!! Cool!!! Just like Transformers?!!!"

Uh, maybe we shouldn't watch this movie. Finally we watched it on Friday night. In this timeless classic from 1977, Dean Jones and Mr. Furley (also known as Don Knotts) work together to qualify for the race across France. They run into the beautiful Julie Sommars. Herbie falls in love with her car and has to be coerced through the movie to concentrate on the race.

In the meantime, a gem heist has occurred at a local museum and the gem was hidden in Herbie gas line. One of the bad guys is Roy Kinnear, also known as Veruca Salt's father in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

As with all Disney movies, the good guys win in the end. As far as quality movies, this one is far from the top. However, for a good child-friendly laugher, this one quite neatly fits into its niche.

I give this movie 3 stars. It serves its intended audience well.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio